What are non-destructive testing ?
It is called Non-Destructive Testing (NDT, No destructive Testing, for its acronym in English) NDT or any type of test carried a material not to permanently alter their physical properties, chemical, mechanical or dimensional.
The NDT involve zero or negligible damage and this makes it a much cheaper solution for the owner of the piece.
What are they for Nondestructive Testing ?
The NDT allow detection of:
- Discontinuities the defects
- Evaluation of corrosion
- Deterioration by environmental agents
- Determining voltages
- Leak detection
- Thickness Control
- Measures thickness on one side
- Measures coating thickness
- Filling level
Risks and problems NOT apply Non Destructive Testing
Nondestructive tests are extremely important in the continuous industrial development. A failure in materials or welds, can be catastrophic and large loss to represent money, life and damage to the environment.
Advantages and benefits of applying NDT
- I tried to not destroy, saves a lot of money.
- The NDT can be used at any stage of a production process:
- a) During the reception of raw materials arriving at the warehouse
- b) During the various steps in a manufacturing process
- c) In the final inspection or release of certain products
- d) The inspection and testing of parts and components that are in service
- Since the material properties are not altered, no waste.
- This type of inspection is very profitable when critical parts and components are inspected, controlled in the manufacturing process or in the production of large-scale parts.
- Its simple, accurate and faster to use in areas where other methods are impractical.
- At high speeds for continuous inspection may be employed at low cost (Magnetic particles)
- It is possible to classify and differentiate alloy materials, metallurgical structure or different thermal treatments.
- They are excellent for the inspection of tubular products
- Discover the surface errors, subsurface and internal manufacturing and helps establish corrective actions.
- They can be applied in a wide range of materials such as: sheeting, axes, pathways, tubes, forging, rods, tec.
- Lets have a pattern of behavior of the structure subjected to the test after having been on duty and see if there has been any damage or weakening of this.
- Water can be detected in the composite.
- As it is not an invasive method, can carry out the inspection without removing any of the paint layers, and, with suitable probes, can be used on hot surfaces.
- Useful for checking the binding holes for locating cracks.
- Eliminates the subjectivity in decision making.
Non-destructive tests are used in a variety of branches that cover a wide range of industrial activities.
In the automotive industry:
- Engine parts
In aviation and aerospace:
- Foreign: Chassis
- Generating plants: Jet engines and rocket
- Integrity tests on piles and screens
- Parts of machines
And ingeniería nuclear:
- Pressure vessels
- Storage Tanks
- Places of amusement parks
- Conservation and restoration of works of art.